"I see amazing potential with so many empty spaces like rooftops, balconies, and vacant lots. It's exciting to see the abundance of urban gardens and green spaces that it made me realize the vital role honeybees will serve as residents of Detroit."
Bees in the D is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization whose mission is to create a cooperative effort between residents, schools, organizations, and businesses in the city of Detroit and Southeast Michigan to contribute to both the health of honey bee colonies and the education of their importance to our environment.
We have placed and manage over 80 honey bee hives at over 30 locations, across 2 countries, and are building the motor city's Bee Highway.
HOTELS & convention centers
Promote sustainability and use the honey in their kitchens and catering.
RESTAURANTS, Bars, BREWERIES & DISTILLERIES
Use honey from their hives in their food and drinks.
SCHOOLS & UNIVERSITIES
Introduce students of all ages to the idea the importance of pollinators and the environment, while providing them with a hands on learning experience inside the beehive.
What We've Achieved
- Placed 6 hives in 2016 to 29 in 2017 and projected 100+ hives in the 2018 season.
- We maintain an apiary at Oakland University to educate about honeybees and their conservation.
- Advised Detroit's City Planners about writing ordinances in favor of beekeeping within city and urban communities.
- Partner with local businesses to use our local honey in their menus and products.
- Place hives within community gardens to increase crop yields for enjoyment of the community.
- Maintain 4 honey bee hives atop Cobo Center's Living Green Roof.
- Ambassador with The Honeybee Conservancy and other pollinator groups.
- Present to neighborhood groups to ease misconceptions and apprehension of community hives.
- Work with local children's groups, boy-scouts, girl-scouts, LEGO leagues.
- Held interactive presentations at nature centers and DNR about pollinator gardens, beekeeping, and other pollinators.
- Organize honey harvests to engage the public and educate about the process.
- State of the art Hive Tracks Software used to compile data and reports for clients and data compiled for the betterment of beekeeping globally.